Negative testing

From: Barry Clarke
Subject: Negative testing
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:45:10 +0100

Hello all

I'm running monit 5.2.5, under Fedora 17.

I'm looking to test that some service is /not/ available - we have an
admin interface on a system that I have to temporarily open to the
internet sometimes.
I want to be hassled about it to remind me to tidy up after myself.

I expected to be able to say:
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
check host adminInterface with address 11.22.33.44
        if succeeded port 234 type tcpssl protocol http then alert
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
but "if succeeded" doesn't seem to be a valid clause, and I don't see
how to negate the test.

Instead I can:
check host adminInterface with address 11.22.33.44
        if failed port 234 type tcpssl protocol http then alert else
if succeeded then alert
But this seems ugly, and I can't use 'with reminder'.
I imagine I'm missing a more elegant solution.

Has anybody else managed something better?

cheers

Barry