Start a service without starting it's dependencies

From: Bryan Young
Subject: Start a service without starting it's dependencies
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 15:42:52 -0400

I have a system architecture which is similar to the example used in the Monit documentation (Dependencies chapter)

  WEB-SERVER -> APPLICATION-SERVER -> DATABASE -> FILESYSTEM

The issue is:  I would like to start only the database (I do not want to start the application server or web server).  The Filesystem service is already running.  Is it possible to only start the database service without starting its dependent services?