Re: RES: Monitoring cacti process/PID with Monit

From: drich
Subject: Re: RES: Monitoring cacti process/PID with Monit
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 08:22:17 -0700

Monit is really the wrong tool for that, it's roughly along the lines of trying to drive a nail with a staple gun. You can probably do it, but a hammer would work a lot better.

You would be much better off using something like sec (http://simple-evcorr.sourceforge.net/) to watch your cacti log and make sure you get the "SYSTEM STATS:" message at least once every log cycle. I think sec can do that, I haven't ever tried to make it try to check for a message appearing, only for errors within a message.

There is also a nagios plugin that will watch the cacti log, that might be something to look at as well. http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15239