Re: monit reload fails while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.4

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: monit reload fails while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.4
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 23:03:24 +0100

It seems that either the PATH or the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set correctly in
your environment.

1.) PATH: it is possible that you have two+ monit binary versions - when system
starts, it may use different monit binary (absolute path) then which is
executed when you run monit as CLI in your shell. You can verify the path using
"which monit". If shell finds some old monit binary which is linked with libssl
that was removed, it won't work - it should be possible to just delete the old
binary if it is not used on any other place (provided the libssl.so.4 is
installed somewhere on your system) … if the there is the other binary in the
PATH, it will be used instead of the old one

2.) LD_LIBRARY_PATH or default loader path: another possibility is orphaned
libssl symlink. You can see the libssl path using "ldd `which monit`"