Re: Monit ignore PID -> M/Monit

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Monit ignore PID -> M/Monit
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 16:30:50 +0100

Hello,

the PID change event is generated automatically - there is currently no way to
suppress it.

The PID changes the process which is monitored by Monit is restarted externally
(e.g. manually) … in general when the process is monitored, the restart should
be either done via monit or the monitoring should be disabled+enabled during
the restart, otherwise if monit detects that the process is not running, it
will try to restart it, whereas the manual restart could be pending. How the
system will deal with the parallel restart attempts depends on the start
methods.

=> i recommend one of following ways to restart the monitored process (which
also prevents the 'pid changed' event):
1.) either do:
        monit restart <servicename>
2.) or do:
        monit unmonitor <servicename>
        <do manual maintanence of the service as needed>
        monit monitor <servicename>