Re: Optimize monit and monitrc for nginx with low latency and high throu

From: Antonio P.P. Almeida
Subject: Re: Optimize monit and monitrc for nginx with low latency and high throughput server
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 17:32:56 +0100

> Hi,

Hello,

> The below is a default script for monit for monitoring nginx but I do
> not know how to optimize for my partitical situation.
>
> Here is the scenario.
>
>     1) 4 cores
>     2) Running nginx with fastcgi using spawn-fcgi of a web.py app
>     3) I am optimizing for potentially 8K qps where I have 120 ms for
> a response or else punished
>     4) Once a receive a post request only network calls is to redis.
> There is no reading from disk etc.  My response is a protocol buffer.
>     5) I have 8 worker proccess, 2 x number of cores
>     6) 20000 worker connections
>     7) keepalive_timeout 20
>     8) 8 gigs of Ram
>     9) 146 GB Harddrive
>
> Given the above, how would woud I modify the monit config for nginx to
> optimize monit monitoring?
>
>     check process nginx
>       with pidfile "/var/run/nginx.pid"
>       start program = "/etc/init.d/nginx start"
>       stop program = "/etc/init.d/nginx stop"
>       if failed host 127.0.0.1 port 80 protocol HTTP then restart #set
> your server IP that runs nginx
>       if 5 restarts with 5 cycles then timeout
>       if cpu is greater than 80% for 2 cycles then alert
>       if cpu is greater than 80% for 5 cycles then restart
>       if totalmem is greater than 50.0 MB for 5 cycles then restart
>       if children is greater than 10 then restart

This is not a good strategy. In fact is a rather bad one. If the machine
is under load then you should tweak the request handling.

There are the following options:

1. Use traffic shaping at the network level.

2. http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_limit_req_module.html

3. Use Lua and adjust dinamically: http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpLuaModule

4. Use tengine instead of Nginx and take advantage of sysguard:
   http://tengine.taobao.org/document/http_sysguard.html

Only 1 and 2 are addressable with monit. You should use a custom script
for setting the traffic shape and/or the limit request. There's no need to
do any restart a reload will do.

HTH,
--appa