Re: public repository for monit checks?

From: Tom H
Subject: Re: public repository for monit checks?
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 13:37:47 +0000

On 07/02/12 09:03, Callum Macdonald wrote:
Hola,

I, for one, would be favour of this.

I'm very new to monit, I've found it to be incredibly useful, I've
installed it on all our servers and can't imagine a scenario where it
wouldn't be useful.

However, getting it installed and configured wasn't a walk in the park.
In the same way that puppet and chef recipes are shared, I think it
makes a lot of sense to share monit checks.

I'd also love to see a web interface to write new checks. A few
tickboxes for each check, then a custom rolled check is output. I'm
thinking specifically of setting mail server values, http protocol tests
and so on.

I'd be happy to contribute towards the above.

Love&  joy - Callum.

Ok, well I've created a github project which has my scripts for chef-server and opendap server;
https://github.com/tolland/monit-shared

if you want to see a lot of alerts about things you don't have installed, then you can install the scripts like so;

sudo git clone git://github.com/tolland/monit-shared.git /usr/share/monit-shared
sudo ln -s /usr/share/monit/monit.d/* /etc/monit.d/

monit -t
service monit restart

I'd be interested in suggestions and versions for tomcat6, httpd, and some basic filesystem stuff from the experts etc...

Cheers,
Tom