Re: Automate removal of hosts and all data from m/monit with a python sc

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Automate removal of hosts and all data from m/monit with a python script
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 09:54:16 +0100

Hi David,

you can use the M/Monit JSON interface to collect the informations about the
Monit hosts: http://mmonit.com/wiki/MMonit/HTTP-API. The host can be deleted
via POST to http(s)://<mmonit_ip>:<mmonit_port>/admin/host/ … the content:
"id=<hostid>&Delete=1"

The M/Monit mass removal of old hosts in the EC2 seems to be quite frequent
request - we can extend M/Monit to automate the removal. Please can you
describe your use case in more detail? When the host is no longer used, does it
stop correctly (i.e. becomes "Inactive" in M/Monit) or is it simply killed
(will have heartbeat error in M/Monit as it will be no longer responding). It
will be probably better to switch the communication to our support email:
address@hidden to not disclose details about your services and setup.

Best regards,
Martin