Re: m/monit not adding new nodes

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: m/monit not adding new nodes
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 17:35:31 +0100

Hi,

the problem will be most probably caused by the duplicate monit ID … the monit
ID is stored in the file (by default ~/.monit.id) and allows to pair the
messages from monit instance with given M/Monit entry (pairing by IP address is
not reliable, as the monit agents can be behind NAT/masquerading and they can
have the same source IP address from M/Monit point of view, hence the concept
of unique IDs).

If you created the system by cloning existing image, the ID file was cloned
with it and your monit instances appear in M/Monit as one host.

The solution is simple:
    1.) stop monit on the host with duplicate id (you need to repeat the
procedure for every host with duplicate id)
    2.) remove the id file (rm -f ~/.monit.id)
    3.) start monit (it will automatically generate new ID and store it to the
file)

You can put the removal of the idfile to the system cloning script. Also the
location of the idfile can be changed using this statement in monit
configuration:

    set idfile <path>

The error about the Monit version < 5.2 is probably from different host (and it
is different problem) … check the monit instance running on the 173.236.234.149
machine (needs monit upgrade probably).

Best regards,
Martin