Re: confused on message

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: confused on message
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 09:43:04 +0100

When you request some action for the service, monit accepts it and protects the service till the action is complete. Some actions are almost instant (such as monitor/unmonitor), some may take more time … the "stop" waits for the process to stop (may take few seconds), the "start" waits for the process to start, "restart" does stop+start.

Multiple commands to independent services can be send, but as mentioned above, the action is protected and no new commands for the given service is accepted until the pending action completes.

In your case it seems that you do restart by calling "stop" followed immediately by "start" - it will be better to use the "monit restart <service>" command which will do both stop+start at once.