Re: Monitoring external SMTP service

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Monitoring external SMTP service
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 12:41:21 +0100

Hello,

the configuration snip uses obfuscated hostname for the test
("my.external.host.name") … can you verify both lines where the real name is
used have no typo? You can also simplify the configuration by removal of the
"host my.external.host.name" from the port test, as it inherites the host from
the check's first line => it can look like this:

--8<--
check host my-name with address my.external.host.name
      if failed port 25 protocol smtp with timeout 15 seconds then alert
--8<--

If no typo will be found, please can you get the network trace of the SMTP
communication? (you can use for example wireshark/tcpdump/snoop)