Getting out of timeout status?

From: Brice Laurencin
Subject: Getting out of timeout status?
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 16:18:21 +0100

Hi,
sorry to bother you guys with what seems to be such a stupid question...

I have a monit check so defined:

check process the-service with pidfile /var/run/the-service/the-service.pid
  alert address@hidden only on { timeout }
  start program = "/etc/init.d/the-service start"
  stop program = "/etc/init.d/the-service stop"
if failed port 42 protocol http and request "/manager/admin/count" with timeout 15 seconds then restart
  if 3 restarts within 5 cycles then alert

So monit starts, launches the service, monitors it. Everything is fine.

I then proceed to kill the service a few times (using Unix kill), after every monit cycle.
I end up with this monit log:

[CET Jan  3 15:11:22] error    : 'the-service' process is not running
[...]
[CET Jan 3 15:11:55] error : 'the-service' service restarted 3 times within 3 cycles(s) - alert
[CET Jan  3 15:11:56] error    : 'the-service' process is not running
[CET Jan  3 15:11:56] info     : 'the-service' trying to restart
[CET Jan 3 15:11:56] info : 'the-service' start: /etc/init.d/the-service [CET Jan 3 15:12:07] error : 'the-service' service restarted 4 times within 4 cycles(s) - alert [CET Jan 3 15:12:07] info : 'the-service' process is running with pid 16488

I then receive a lonely mail, wich is quite consistent with the configuration, since I didn't ask for reminders.

What I can't get to understand is the process status, which stays as timeout:
Process 'the-service'
  status                            Timeout
  monitoring status                 monitored
  [...]

Even though the process is up and running.
If I stop/start the service using monit stop/start, the process is still timeout. If I then kill the process, I have a monit log looking quite like the one above.

But this time, no mail. Could still be consistent, since the process is timeout, but the process was working for a period of time, so this should be a new timeout, and monit seems to now it because it tells me it will alert.

What do I have to do to bring the process back to running, from monit point of vue, so I can receive subsequent alerts?

Thanks for your help!
Brice.