Re: Sending test emails from M/Monit

From: Thorsten Kampe
Subject: Re: Sending test emails from M/Monit
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 12:54:30 +0100

* Martin Pala (Thu, 8 Dec 2011 12:40:54 +0100)
> the current M/Monit version doesn't have the "Test mail" button, it
> will be part of next release.

> To find the root cause of the problem in the current M/Monit version:
> 1.) check the message queue in the "Admin" -> "Overview" -> "Message
> queue" tab … if any message has temporary delivery problem, it will be
> listed here along with the root cause

> 2.) check the error.log and mmonit.log in the "logs" directory … it
> contains logs for every rejected/failed message

I switched from traditional SMTP port 25 to the "new" standard
submission port (587). Looks like there were two problems with that:

1. "Sender address rejected: need fully-qualified address" and after I
fixed that

2. "Recipient address rejected: You must be authenticated to use this
service."

Strangely, the "Test connection" button reported "OK" in both cases
(which completely misled me). That's why I think, a "send test email"
button would really be better than a "test connection" button.

Thorsten