Re: Monit dependency problem (bug?)

From: Eric Pailleau
Subject: Re: Monit dependency problem (bug?)
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 09:10:25 +0100

Hello,
did you simply try this ?

---8<----------------
check process apache with pidfile /var/run/httpd.pid
   start program = "/etc/init.d/httpd start"
   stop program  = "/etc/init.d/httpd stop"
   if does not exist  then restart
   if failed host localhost port 80 protocol http
      and request "/" then restart
   if children>  50 then restart
   if 2 restarts within 2 cycles then timeout
   group server
   depends on tomcat
check process ospfd with pidfile /var/run/quagga/ospfd.pid
   start program = "/etc/init.d/ospfd start"
   stop program  = "/etc/init.d/ospfd stop"
   depends on apache
   depends on fcserver
   depends on mysql
   depends on tomcat
   group network
Because ospfd depends on apache, any failure on apache will stop ospfd, then
restart apache then start ospfd .
Crossing start of processes inside individual process monitoring is simply
trying to doing worst what monit is created for.
'depends' is certainly the lonely option to use in majority of case.
If there is a real needing to cross start process in an 'exec', prefere to use the '/etc/init.d/ospfd stop [&& /usr/bin/monit unmonitor ospfd]?' command instead of '/usr/bin/monit stop ospfd' because in second case, the stop status is a user request and this state is kept until
another user request for start.

regards