Re: Handling load of servers during backups

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Handling load of servers during backups
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 16:02:03 +0100

Hello,

there are two ways:

1.) you can suppress the monitoring of the service which generates the system
load alerts using the cron syntax like this:

--8<--
check system mymachine
    not every "0-1 * * * *"
    if cpu usage > 80% then alert
--8<--

Notes:
- the cron syntax support for the "not every" statement requires monit 5.3 or
newer
- the above example skips the system check every day from 0:00 to 1:59 for the
service entry "mymachine" … the other check will be performed normally => you
can suppress the monitoring on per-service basis

2.) or you can disable/enable the monitoring of that service when the backup
starts using monit CLI => put the following to the backup script when the
backup starts:
--8<--
   /usr/bin/monit unmonitor mymachine
--8<--

and this when the backup is finished:
--8<--
   /usr/bin/monit monitor mymachine
--8<--

Notes:
- this solution works with all monit versions

Best regards,
Martin