two apps end up with same pid

From: Christopher Johnston
Subject: two apps end up with same pid
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 12:25:35 -0400

Running into a weird problem on a number of my production systems, we end up having two different applications started up and monit records them as having the same PID so in turn its reporting that both apps are up.  Obviously only one app can have that PID but the problem is monit is reporting that the application is actually up when it is not.  The only way I have been able to resolve it is to echo some junk chars into the pid file so the app starts or stop/start the app.  Is this a known bug?  I am running 5.2.5 at the moment and tempted to upgrade.

The way I right out my pidfile is pretty straightforward and this happens directly in the run script.

    # drop pid into pidfile
    echo $$ > ${PIDFILE}

Process 'F17'

status running