moniting monit

From: Mark Olliver
Subject: moniting monit
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 10:05:00 +0100

Hi,

I am setting up a central server to monit our other monit instances in a triangular fashion. This will a ensure I know if one of the other servers goes down but also the plan is to let me know if monit fails.

I can test the server with a simple icmp ping, but I was wondering is there a specific protocol test for testing monit? Or do I just need to use a standard tcp test to port 2812?

Thanks

Mark