Unusual use-case

From: Matt Van Mater
Subject: Unusual use-case
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 17:44:25 -0400

I have an unusual use-case that I was curious if monit can accommodate somehow.

I plan to run some services in a cloud virtual hosting provider.  In these models, it costs money to leave a VM on for every hour.  My concern is that I might leave a VM on accidentally and rack up the charges quickly.

I would like to configure Monit to constantly check a number of IPs and notify ONLY if they become available... I know Monit normally only notifies on failure, not success.

Perhaps I could/should use the custom script integration capability to accomplish this.  Anyone else do this?  I was thinking it would be good to send a notification, but might get extra fancy and also set up a script that Monit uses to shut "forgotten" vms down after some period of time.

Ideas?
Matt