Re: Improved parser for MONIT

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Improved parser for MONIT
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 22:15:15 +0200

On May 5, 2011, at 9:02 PM, Ortiz, Nelson wrote:

> One more question on the next release of MONIT.
>
> Can you describe the new parser that is being developed?

I'm hesitant to go into too much details as I'm still working on the grammar.
Though I can tell you some of our ideas;

 - The parser is going to be a standard implementation using lex & yacc or
similar. The end product of parsing will be an explicit AST tree which is used
later at runtime for checks.

- The grammar will be based on the current language, but with proper support
for if-else statements, blocks and multi-statements or actions. Something like
this:

        if (cpu > 80% for 5 min) {
                alert
                exec whatever
                restart
        } else if (cpu > 60%)
                alert

- The global poll cycle will also disappear. Instead checks will run individual
using (wall-clock) time. For instance, it will be possible to define that a
check should run each 5 min, but not on sunday between 02-08 and that another
check should run each half-hour etc etc.

- For processes, pid-files will be optional and if not specified, Monit will
take the responsibility for starting the process and watch it.