Re: Monit restarting Apache stops but doesn't start

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Monit restarting Apache stops but doesn't start
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 08:46:06 +0200

You can use the connection test within 'check process' context as well, you just need to add the hostname to the port test otherwise it defaults to localhost:

check process apache with pidfile /var/run/apache2.pid
every 2 cycles
start program = "/etc/init.d/apache2 start" with timeout 60 seconds
stop program = "/etc/init.d/apache2 stop"
if failed host  this.host.net port 80 and protocol http
and request "/login"
with timeout 15 seconds
for 4 cycles
then restart
if 3 restarts within 10 cycles then timeout

=> this will test both the process itself and its tcp port + will be wait for the process to start in case of restart.