RE: Can MONIT be configured to work as a heartbeat monitor?

From: Ortiz, Nelson
Subject: RE: Can MONIT be configured to work as a heartbeat monitor?
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 17:28:42 -0400

Martin,

Thanks, this is very useful information.

The heartbeat the monitored process provides to the monitor could be anything. I was thinking it should just provide its PID. What would you recommend?

Suppose I wanted to monitor 10 processes by having them write their PIDs periodically to a common file (or separate files, one for each monitored process, what do you think?). Each write to the file would trigger a timestamp change, so as you have stated, if periodic timestamps are missing I could alert on that.

Thanks for thinking, Martin!

Very Respectfully, Nelson J. Ortiz