RE: openvpn config

From: Kamenik, Aleksander
Subject: RE: openvpn config
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:08:20 +0100

Hi!

> unfortunately this only checks that the port is ok, I need something
> that ensures the process is running

It does both. It makes sure that a process with id from
/var/run/openvpn/openvpn.pid is running. It then checks that the port is
active. And anyway, if the port would not be active, the process would be dead
or in trouble. You can't have a listening port and a dead process.

Unless the UDP port check reports false negatives all the time due to it's
stateless nature. Is that the case? Even in that case the process check should
still work fine.

> On 28 March 2011 10:17, Kamenik, Aleksander
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Pretty much copypaste from the manual, what problem did you have?
> >
> > check process openvpn with pidfile /var/run/openvpn/openvpn.pid
> >        start program = "/etc/init.d/openvpn start"
> >        stop  program = "/etc/init.d/openvpn stop"
> >        if failed host x.x.x.x port xxxx type udp then restart
> >        group net
> >        depends openvpn_init
> >        depends openvpn_bin
> >
> > check file openvpn_init with path /etc/init.d/openvpn
> >        group net
> >
> > check file openvpn_bin with path /usr/sbin/openvpn
> >        group net
> >
> > The host is the server's, where it listens for client connections.
> Works for me.
> >
> > One could also monitor hosts on the other side of the vpn, though
> that's probably not such a good idea.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Aleksander Kamenik
> > System Administrator