SMTP test failing, when others tests don't

From: Len Conrad
Subject: SMTP test failing, when others tests don't
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:06:06 -0500

Since we upgraded monit to latest version last Friday, this item:

check host exch1.server.tld-SMTP with address exch1.server.tld
 if failed port 25 protocol smtp with timeout 2 seconds 5 times within 5 cycles
then alert

This began failing on one monit machine, so we added it to another monit
machine, where it fails, also.

We don't get an alert every time because the test doesn't fail 5 times in 5
cycles, but monit.log has lots of:

[ Mar 27 09:59:10] error    : SMTP: error receiving data -- Resource
temporarily unavailable
[ Mar 27 09:59:10] error    : 'exch1.server.tld-SMTP' failed protocol test
[SMTP] at INET[exch1.server.tld:25] via TCP

However, from either of the two monit machines:

telnet exch1.server.tld 25

and

nmap a.b.c.d -p 25 -sT

... work every time, and quickly.