Monit from crontab?

From: Aubrey Jaffer
Subject: Monit from crontab?
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:08:47 -0400 (EDT)

I want to set up a monitor which sends an email if a website goes
down.  I don't have root access on the machine I will run Monit on.
The Monit documentation describes how to modify /etc/inittab to run
Monit, but is silent as to how to run Monit from the crontab program.

Because Monit looks for a control-file in ~/.monitrc, it would seem
that Monit should be usable for non-root users.

Can Monit be run from crontab?

If so, should Monit be started as a daemon when run from crontab?