Future of Monit (was Re: roadmap - any date ?)

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Future of Monit (was Re: roadmap - any date ?)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:45:56 +0100

Hello Jeremy

The long answer is that we are currently thinking about the next move for Monit
and nothing is decided yet. We have two options; 1) either do small incremental
changes and improvements which we are doing now. This means no major new
features and that the "next plan" will be put on hold 2) or do 1-2 months full
time development and realize the plan plus more. 50% of the plan is already
implemented so it is definitely within the realm of possibilities.

But there are few incentives for us to do 2) and finalize a new major overhaul
of Monit. Personally I really want to see it through, but it will cost a lot of
time (and by proxy money). We are very grateful for all who support us by
purchasing a M/Monit license, but unfortunately it is not enough to sustain
full time development, although each purchase really helps us and gives us some
time to work on Monit as well as M/Monit.

If we are going to do option 2) we will most likely go for a MySQL model where
we dual license Monit. So that those that want to put Monit in HW boxes can
purchase a commercial license, hopefully this will support OSS development of
Monit in the future. If I feel that this would be a viable model I would start
on development right away, but I'm currently uncertain.

I'm sorry for this long rant and for not giving you a clear answer, but
hopefully things will turn out for the best (i.e. option 2) in not too long a
time.

Any thoughts by anyone on the list on our conundrum and ideas/suggestions for
the future of Monit would also be much appreciated.

Jan-Henrik