Alerting techniques

From: Randy Ramsdell
Subject: Alerting techniques
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 10:03:29 -0500

We are trying to use monit to alert after an initial timeout period. The purpose is to ONLY alert if the service does not start up of has continual failures.

Our current alerts are sent via email because I cannot find a way to set this up and I have read the documentation several times trying to solve this issue.

An example configuration:

alert address@hidden

if failed host localhost port 81 send "POST / HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: zp4\r\nUser-Agent: Mozilla/4.0\r\nContent-Length: 27\r\nContent-xxType: application/x-www-form-urlencoded\r\n\r\naddress=1817 NW 10TH Street&zip=33445" expect "ZP4" then exec "/opt/systems/database/zp4/scripts/zp4_restart.sh PROD01"
        if failed port 82 for 2 times within 5 cycles then alert

This will not alert if I remove the alert setting, but will alert of first change if I enable that line.

We do not want to be alerted on initial failure, but only if the restart does not fix it after a defined period of time.

How do we configure this type of alerting?

Thanks,
RCR