Can you check program output? (to monitor CUPS printers)

From: Adam Nielsen
Subject: Can you check program output? (to monitor CUPS printers)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:59:05 +1000

Hi all,

Occasionally we get a print job which makes CUPS break, and it takes the printer offline until the job is deleted and an admin logs in and restarts the queue. I would like monit to keep an eye on this and when it happens, clear the print queue and restart the printer automatically.

Unfortunately I can't see how to make monit check the output of a command, which I need to be able to detect the current state of the print queue. Checking a file's content is the closest test I can see, but I'd rather not have a cronjob running all the time outputting the print queue status to a file for monit to check.

In order to check the current printer status I need to run this command:

  lpstat -p queuename

Which prints:

  printer queuename is idle.  enabled since Wed 27 Oct 2010 10:30:06 EST

Or:

  printer queuename disabled since Wed 27 Oct 2010 10:53:31 EST -
          Paused

So I would use a regex to check for the presence of the word "disabled" and restart the queue if it is found. Does anyone know how I could achieve this check with monit?

For completeness' sake, "cupsenable -c queuename" clears a queue and restarts it when it has been disabled.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Many thanks,
Adam.