Monitoring DNS server

From: Bernd Wurst
Subject: Monitoring DNS server
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 06:55:01 +0200

Hi.

I have found a rule to monitor a DNS server in general, but is there also a
rule format to have monit check if a DNS server does return a valid reply?

Tonight, our DNS servers refused to load our master zone file (because of an
error) and so the DNS server keeps running but does not reply to a query about
our master domain. Monit thought it was up and running but it was useless.

Is there a way to monitor if DNS server XYZ does reply to a specific query
with a specific reply. Would be great if this is possible. In the docs, there
is no such example.

greets,
Bernd

--
Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files. This provides more
security than wiping with decimal values.