Re: Alerting granularity

From: Randy Ramsdell
Subject: Re: Alerting granularity
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 13:15:01 -0400

Martin Pala wrote:
You can use specify how many errors are needed to trigger alert.

For example:

         if failed port 80 for 3 times within 5 cycles then alert

See monit manual for more details:
http://www.mmonit.com/monit/documentation/monit.html#service_tests

On Aug 12, 2010, at 5:02 PM, Randy Ramsdell wrote:

When I set the alert address@hidden, the initial failed host check will alert. Then the setting you provided will also alert. Note that I have read everything in the manual about alerting and have tried them, but nothing seems to do what we need.

Hi,

I have been trying to configure alerting for our 24/7 oncall person. One issue
I do not seem to stop is the initial alert. Monit alerts as soon as the service
fails which I do not want. I only want monit to alert if the service fails for
a specific time. We use an exec if failed but need to know when the exec is
unable to restart the service for a specified time period.

I have tried almost every form of alerting but can't solve the "not" alert on
initial fail.

Is is possible to alert the way we need?

Example: This host runs the same service but on diff ports then we rotor with
load balancer.

check host blah blah

alert address@hidden

if failed host localhost port 81 send "POST / HTTP/1.15 blah blah" expect "ZP4" then exec
"$RUNSCRIPT"
if failed host localhost port 82 send "POST / HTTP/1.15 blah blah" expect "ZP4" then exec
"$RUNSCRIPT"
if failed host localhost port 83 send "POST / HTTP/1.15 blah blah" expect "ZP4" then exec
"$RUNSCRIPT"
if failed host localhost port 84 send "POST / HTTP/1.15 blah blah" expect "ZP4" then exec
"$RUNSCRIPT"