Re: uptime weirdness

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: uptime weirdness
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 12:56:55 +0200

I'm not sure what system uptime in your case is - the attached monit status
output contains following uptimes only:

1.) monit uptime: 49m  => monit was started 49 minutes ago (system itself may
be running much longer - this uptime is updated whenever monit itself is
(re)started)
2.) process 'BoomDataToMODBUS' uptime: 45m
3.) process 'DataRouter' uptime: 21h9m

=> if the system was started less then 21h9m ago at the point when monit status
was taken, then the reported uptime of DataRouter process is wrong. With
monit-5.0.3 it could happen because it's based on the pidfile's timestamp. The
next monit release (5.2) fixes this problem. Monit-5.2 changelog excerpt:

--8<--
* Show real process uptime - formerly the presented uptime was based on
create/modify
  timestamp of process' pidfile which provides invalid uptime if the pidfile is
  replaced and process keeps running with original PID (such as on apache
reload).
  Thanks to Nima Chavooshi for report.
--8<--