Re: [monit] regex in http tests

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: [monit] regex in http tests
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 14:50:07 +0200

On May 18, 2010, at 1:38 PM, Edmunds wrote:

> BTW
>      and content == '^OK$'
>
> works fine on PHP as Apache module, but doesn't work as expected if
> PHP runs as fast-cgi (on otherwise identical configurations). So it
> looks like the fcgid module is doing something monit is not expecting.

It is probably adding white-space chars such as new line. Regex are basically
line oriented and new-line may cause problems. In any case instead of using
OK[\r\n] I would recommend something like this to allow for optional
white-space chars both in front and behind the OK but nothing else. Heck, this
must work:

and content == '^[ \r\n\t]*OK[ \r\n\t]*$'

> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Edmunds <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Unfortunately this doesn't work and it fails as soon as I add ^ and/or
>> $, it feels like monit doesn't recognize these as special characters,
>> or php+apache combo adds something to the beginning and end of output,
>> that is hidden by browsers (unlikely?)

Unless you have content-type set to text/plain that is not at all unlikely
since text/html viewed in the browser hide white-space chars such as new-line.