Re: [monit] Monit 5.1.1 not starting after upgrade (syntax rule changes?

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] Monit 5.1.1 not starting after upgrade (syntax rule changes?)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 21:28:11 +0200

Hi,

the limitation is related to service name - it has to be unique ... in your
case it is "windows2003r2", "windows2008r2" and "windowsxp" which is OK. The
address part (in your case "nts-firewall1") can be used multiple times without
problems.

The error message which you see reports service name conflict but shows port
value - it seems that the configuration file contains some errors which
confused the parser. I tried to replicate the problem with configuration snip
which you attache - everything works fine. Please can you send the
configuration file? You can obfuscate credentials, IP addresses and anything
what you don't want to disclose or even minimize the configuration as long as
the problem is possible to replicate.

Was the monit 5.1.1 from some gentoo port or original source distribution taken
from www.mmonit.com? (the gentoo port may contain some 3rd party patches which
may change the behavior)

Is your configuration file in windows CRLF format or unix LF format? Monit
should accept both formats ... you can check for example using 'od -c monitrc'