Re: [monit] Asking again: unable to restart processes via monit

From: Eric Pailleau
Subject: Re: [monit] Asking again: unable to restart processes via monit
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 17:31:40 +0200

Be carefull that no environnement variable, neither PATH
come with monit exec() .
Path to binaries or executable scripts must be absolute, variables
must be explicitely source from a file (let's say .bashrc ou .login) , etc ...
You certainly loose the CLASSPATH of your java ...
Regards.

Sharma, Ashish a écrit :
Hi,

Asking the following question again as I have not received any replies yet.

I have deployed monit on one of my server nodes.
The problem I am facing is that the processes that have to run with non 'root'
user privileges are not being restarted and killed by monit.

Following are the rules that I appended in '/etc/monitrc'

check process postoffice.sh with pidfile "/mnt/EmailOffice/PId.txt"
    start program = "/mnt/EmailOffice/postoffice.sh start"
    stop program = "/mnt/EmailOffice/postoffice.sh stop"

check process emailfilter.sh with pidfile "/mnt/Email-filter/PId.txt"
    start program = "/mnt/Email-filter/emailfilter.sh start"
    stop program = "/mnt/Email-filter/emailfilter.sh stop"

In the above rules, process "postoffice.sh" is launched via the shell script with 'root' privileges and is controllable via monit,
While process "emailfilter.sh"  is launched via the shell script with 'postfix'
user privileges and I am not able to start or kill it via monit.
The launch command is of type : sudo -u postfix java -classpath ..... xyz.java

I am unable to understand what am I doing wrong.

Please help

Thanks in advance

Ashish Sharma