Re: [monit] Monit and DNS

From: Emil Natan
Subject: Re: [monit] Monit and DNS
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:18:18 +0200

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Markus Heinze <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

Am 12.01.2010 14:58, schrieb Len Conrad:
> From: Markus Heinze <address@hidden>
> Date:  Tue, 12 Jan 2010 14:47:28 +0100
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> i want to monitor some DNS Server, but except the local bind all other
>> hosts failed to connect.
>>
>> can someone show me an example to configure a external DNS host ?
>>
> check host ns1.xxx.net-DNS with address ns1.xxx.net
>  if failed port 53 type udp protocol dns with timeout 2 seconds 3 times within 3 cycles then alert
>
> Len

I've tried this several times but always connection failed :( even when
i allow recursion for all, but the host are stll alive any dig or
nslookup will work.

any ideas ?

IIRC Monit's check for DNS protocol was to query for the hint.zone (".") and if the name server you try to monitor does not allow recursive queries from the monitoring host the check fails. I had the same problem (wanted to monitor authoritative only server) and finished using custom script to query the server and write the output on success to some file and using Monit to monitor this file.

max