Re: [monit] Monitoring ?

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] Monitoring ?
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 11:08:30 +0100

On Dec 2, 2009, at 9:40 PM, Jack S wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have been using monit for a couple of weeks now, and like it,
> however I'm getting way too many notifications.
> Can someone please tell me how I can reduce the notifications based on
> the following:
>
> 1. If a services fails, can I control how long it waits before it
> considers it failed? example if the process is down for 20 seconds,
> thats ok but maybe if it times out for 1 minute then go into action
> and do whatever else is listed like restart.

If process was disappeared, Monit will try to restart it as soon as it detects
this state. It is possible to check the service less frequently by using "every
<x>" option which can skip monitoring cycles for particular service.

Other tests allow to set error rate, see:
http://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/monit.html#service_tests

> 2. If a service is restarted and the PID changes, BUT the service is
> still running don't tell me that the PID changed.  example: we time
> sync all the servers nightly which causes NTPD to get restarted and
> the PID changes.

You ca set mail notification filter to ignore pid changes ... see monit manual:
http://www.mmonit.com/monit/documentation/monit.html#setting_a_local_alert_statement

The PID change notification is send only when PID changed outside of Monit
control, you can restart the service via Monit - in this case no PID change is
generated:

  monit restart servicename

> Any help appreciated!!
>
> Also is there any more detailed documentation and example configs
> besides whats on the site?  like a configuration repository or
> something?

Configuration examples:
http://mmonit.com/wiki/Monit/ConfigurationExamples