Re: [monit] monitor any process

From: Eric Pailleau
Subject: Re: [monit] monitor any process
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 09:36:57 +0100

Fabiano R. Prestes a écrit :
Hmmm, interesting perspective, thank you.

The reason I was thinking of doing it this way is because we have a couple
of users who use a mathematical program that will run away with all the
32Gb of RAM the server has if left running unattended. Then my boss now
wants that ANY single process that uses up as much more than 8Gb of RAM be
killed so they don't risk taking the server down with them.

I don't think init will ever use that much memory so we are probably safe,
don't you think?

Would you know how that could be coded in monit.conf ? Can I use maybe a
wildcard perhaps somewhere?

Hello,
You simply have to set quota/limits on users or groups.

man 5 limits.conf

--
Salutations - Best regards - mit freundlichen Grüssen