Re: [monit] General request for monit

From: Ciprian Dorin, Craciun
Subject: Re: [monit] General request for monit
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:10:38 +0200

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Naoya Nakazawa <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using monit 5.0.3 at my internet service.
> Monit is very useful open source unix system management tool.
> So I have a one general request for monit.
>
> I want to use my custom shell script for service tests. For example httpd
> process, like this.
>
> check process httpd with pidfile /var/run/httpd.pid
>    start program = "/etc/init.d/httpd start"
>    stop program = "/etc/init.d/httpd stop"
>    if failed exec "my_custom_script.sh" timeout 1 for 10 cycles then restart
>
> timeout is custom shell script execution time.
>
> my_custom_script.sh like this.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # checking my rules processes
> # when failed
> exit 1
> # when succeed
> exit 0
>

> I think that this function is very useful for everyone.
> So, I'm trying to write a patch for monit.
>
> Thank you,
> Naoya Nakazawa

    Hy there!

    This update could be very nice. If you finish it, please send it
on the list, because me and some of my colleagues  were also thinking
about such a patch. For example we could use it to make unsupported
checks (like IPv6, DNS (if this is not supported), LDAP, etc.)

    Ciprian.

    P.S.: I've not used monit to much, so if this use case is already
possible, please someone point me in the right direction.