Re: [monit] can't stop FPs

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] can't stop FPs
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 23:00:04 +0200

Hello Len,

i will try to replicate the problem.

Martin

On Sep 9, 2009, at 4:17 PM, Len Conrad wrote:

I have a group of machines on the same subnet running monit, where several of the machines are "check host" each other. These machines don't generate FPs amonng themselves.

I have another machine on a remote site running monit that "check host" the group of machines, with

check host hostname-ALIVE with address hostname
if failed icmp type echo count 5
  with timeout 1 seconds 3 times within 3 cycles
  then alert

The average ping time from remote monit to the group is 65 ms.

The remote monit sporadically generates false alerts for only one machine at a time in the group (not alerts for the entire group), with the FP moving among the group. When the remote monit sends an alert for machine x, the other machines in the group also monitoring machine x send no alert.

I'm talking 2 or 3 FPs/day. Not a disaster but does anybody have any suggestions how to kill these FPs? I could up to "count 50 with 10 times within 10 cycles", but I'd rather understand why the above doesn't suffice.

thanks
Len