[monit] odd / even cycles

From: Eric Pailleau
Subject: [monit] odd / even cycles
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 15:09:44 +0200

Dear Martin,

I got some problems when monitoring two independant processes (two pid files)
that are working together, because a single start script is used.
But one process must start before the other.

I can't monitor only one and when a process fails , it restarts both with same
start script.

I could imagine to exit when a start script is already running, but
I can't modify the start script that comes from external packages : I will
loose my modifications.

So I solved the problem by creating a wrapper script under distribution start
script but I wonder
if the idea to allow monitoring on odd cycles or even cycles could be usefull
sometimes...

Actually we can only use :

check process1 ....
        [...]
        every 2 cycles

check process2 ....
        [...]
        every 2 cycles

my idea is to allow a monit alternatively on a process and another :

check process1 ....
        [...]
        every odd cycles

check process2 ....