Re: [monit] How to test that Internet is really up ?

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] How to test that Internet is really up ?
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 19:04:27 +0200

Hi,

yes, we plan to improve monit configuration language to allow setup like this (AND/OR) and also support conditions like:

IF ...
ELSE IF ...
ELSE IF ...
ELSE ...

Martin

On May 18, 2009, at 6:01 PM, Eric Pailleau wrote:

Dear all,

surely as many other monit users,
I test that Internet is up and running by doing a ICMP echo (ping) on www.google.?? ('fr' in my case).

But it does not means that Internet is really down if Google is down (it happened once and can occurs ...).

My idea is to test several ip addresses with AND function...

Not easy to do this with 'depends on' : I did a trick by touching files on disk with start/stop command
when ICMP echo fails... but it is neither smart nor simple.

It would be great to test directly several adresses in same process, or to be able to create
virtual groups of processes with AND (and even OR ?) statements.
Exemple1 :
check hostpool internet with address www.google.fr AND www.microsoft.fr AND www.yahoo.com
   if failed icmp type echo count 5 with timeout 30 seconds
       then alert

Example2 :
check host internet1 with address www.google.fr

check host internet2 with address www.microsoft.fr

check host internet3 with address www.yahoo.com
   if failed icmp type echo count 5 with timeout 30 seconds
       then alert

check pool internet depends on internet1 and internet2 and internet3

I think example 2 would be easier to do because it does not modify current 'check host' test,
and only (hum...) add a 'check pool' statement in yacc files...

Thanks for looking at this request in futur ?