Re: [monit] Monit 5.0.2 question

From: Aleksander Kamenik
Subject: Re: [monit] Monit 5.0.2 question
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 18:51:59 +0300

David Paper wrote:
$HOST appears to be the short name that the host is known by. This presents a problem when there are two hosts that have identical short names, but different subdomains like:

Good point. Though I've tried to always have different names be cause of this kind of problems.

On SuSE linux, 'hostname' returns just foo07. 'hostname -f' returns the fully qualified domain name.

On Fedora 10 hostname returns the fqdn. -f returns localhost.localdomain for me. Do you by chance know a more reliable way to get the FQDN? I'm asking be cause I've had this problem when writing shell scripts which should work on several distros.

Is it possible to tell monit in the monitrc file either to use the FQDN of the host, or to specify what the FQDN is?

I'd prefer using the FQDN instead of the short host name too.

Aleksander Kamenik
System Administrator
Krediidiinfo AS
an Experian Company