Re: [monit] Can't use monit shell if ssl is enabled in httpd

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: [monit] Can't use monit shell if ssl is enabled in httpd
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 09:34:55 +0200

On 30. april. 2009, at 23.52, Brad Gessler wrote:

I wrote up a blog post about it to give the problem some more Google juice at http://blog.bradgessler.com/rails-on-monit

Thanks! I also read your post about God which was interesting. I can't say that I'm much surprised that one of the problems you had with God was memory leaks. It kind of amazes me that people write long running system tools in a memory managed scripting language and wonder why it leaks memory. It is sort of heedless, at least with the current garbage collection strategy used in ruby et. al.

"Conservative GC and reference counting are a poor match for long- running programs that have complex reference patterns and that host extensions or untrusted code. For example, the main Ruby implementation uses conservative GC, Perl 5 uses reference counting with weak references, and Python uses conservative GC; programmers who stress these systems frequently encounter problems with memory use." [http://www.cs.utah.edu/~regehr/papers/ismm15-rafkind.pdf ]

I just wished that people who are not happy with Monit could help out and contribute in a good open source spirit instead of "forking" and try to debunk Monit which I feel Mr. Preston-Werner does. We have always been open and we have never been adverse to any form of meaningful contribution. Anyway, as long as there are users who appreciate what we do and find Monit useful, we will use our energy on Monit and make Monit better, line by line.