[monit] monitrc for gmail and workling

From: Neil Cauldwell
Subject: [monit] monitrc for gmail and workling
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 08:43:19 +0100

Hi all

I've read the monit intro pdf but I'm struggling the monitrc I've inherited from a previous dev. Here's the monitrc with censored credentials, IPs, etc:

http://pastie.org/private/puzxsidw2lt7pdm6syoueg

1. Is there anything obviously wrong with this config? Syntax check says it's ok, but status and validate suggest there's a few issues (see below).
2. How can I check that monit can send email via Gmail?
3. I presumed this config would enable monit web interface access through http://my.slice.ip.address:2812 but I keep getting a page load error. Could the port already be in use? If so, how would I find an appropriate port?
4. I'm not sure if the mailer_worker needs watching. It's a Ruby class that Workling/Starling use, but they're already being monitored. Would any Workling/Starling users know if I even need this in monit? I can confirm that the workling process is running right now, but the previous developer told me it had an 'intermittent fault'...

address@hidden:~# monit -t
Control file syntax OK
address@hidden:~# monit status
monit: cannot read status from the monit daemon
address@hidden:~# monit validate
'workling' process is not running
Sendmail error: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 5sm5692253ywl.52
Aborting event
'workling' trying to restart
'workling' start: /var/www/notipal/current/script/workling_client
ERROR: there is already one or more instance(s) of the program running
'workling' failed to start
Sendmail error: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 5sm3824609ywd.35
Aborting event
'mailer_worker' process is not running
Sendmail error: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 7sm283634ywo.26
Aborting event
'mailer_worker' trying to restart
'mailer_worker' start: /var/www/notipal/shared/scripts/mailer_worker.sh
Error: Could not execute /var/www/notipal/shared/scripts/mailer_worker.sh
'mailer_worker' failed to start
Sendmail error: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 7sm4983829ywo.46
Aborting event
address@hidden:~#

Thanks

" Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 Optimised for MSN. " Download Now