Re: [monit] Monit fails to create PID file on restart

From: Tom Davis
Subject: Re: [monit] Monit fails to create PID file on restart
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 14:48:37 -0400

Tom, are there any error logs in /var/log/httpd/ ? Those might provide some clues as to why the PID file is not being created, which is generally a bad thing.

No, oddly Apache doesn't think anything is wrong... it restarts normally (according to the logs) and runs without issue.

Sounds like a permission problem. You may want to check that the Monit process (i.e.) the user running Monit can create /var/run/ httpd.pid

That was my thought, too, but monit runs as root so how does that fit? Unless it doesn't and I'm missing something...

root 23208 0.0 0.0 25444 1180 ? Sl 13:47 0:00 /usr/ local/bin/monit