Re: [monit] monit fails mysteriously on refresh after upgrade from Debi

From: Jenny Hopkins
Subject: Re: [monit] monit fails mysteriously on refresh after upgrade from Debian etch to lenny
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:32:40 +0000

2009/2/24 Martin Pala <address@hidden>:
> The configuration looks good. The problem is very strange - Monit cannot die
> this way without either crash or receiving signal to stop.
>
> Please can you run monit with "-vI" options? The -v enable verbose as you
> did + the -I will let in run in foreground.
>

> 1.) stop monit
>
> 2.) enable coredumps:
> ulimit -c unlimited
>
> 3.) start monit verbose/foreground:
> monit -vI
>

> ... you will see the same verbose output, but in terminal. If monit will
> crash or receive signal to stop, you will get message about it (as well if
> there will be any other error).

Martin - great! At last we have an error trapped:

sudo /usr/sbin/monit -d 10 -vI -c /etc/monit/monitrc -s
/var/lib/monit/monit.state
Last three lines -
'xinetd' PID has not changed since last cycle
'xinetd' PPID has not changed since last cycle
Floating point exception (core dumped)

Does this mean anything?

(By the way: do I need to turn coredump enabling off again?)

Many thanks,

Jenny