Re: [monit] MONIT_DESCRIPTION returning old description not new one

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] MONIT_DESCRIPTION returning old description not new one
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 21:03:24 +0100

Thanks for report, yes the MONIT_DESCRIPTION shows incorrect information (points to first event only) ... we'll fix.

Martin

On Nov 30, 2008, at 3:43 AM, index one wrote:

Hello,
I currently have a problem with monit failing to return the correct
MONIT_DESCRIPTION on one log file.
I monitor about 6 log files and one of them on occasion returns an old
message on a regex match and not the current message.
When this happens it will continue sending the old message on every
regex match for that file until monit is restarted.
Currently I am only seeing this on one log file (heartbeat, ha-log).
I have tried monit-5.0_beta4 and a patched version of monit-4.10.1
that allows  MONIT_DESCRIPTION in exec
Alert emails contain the correct $DESCRIPTION tag but the
$MONIT_DESCRIPTION passed to exec is incorrect.
the log-send.sh script sends the message as a snmp trap bit just
echoing $MONIT_DESCRIPTION to a temp file has the same result

-------------------------- test----------
echo "ERROR" >> /var/logs/ha-log
echo "WARN" >> /var/logs/ha-log
output:
content match [ERROR]
content match [ERROR]

OS is Solaris 10
Below is my monitrc (monit is started from init)

Any help appreciated

set init
set alert address@hidden #for testing
set daemon 1
set logfile /var/log/monit
set httpd port 2812
allow admin:monit

check file raid-log with path /opt/StorMan/RaidEvtA.log
ignore match /etc/opt/raid.nomatch
if match /etc/opt/raid.match then
exec "/usr/bin/log-send.sh raid"

check file Apache-log with path /var/log/apache/error.log
ignore match /etc/opt/Apache.nomatch
if match /etc/opt/Apache.match then
exec "/usr/bin/log-send.sh Apache-log"

check file Mysql-log with path /var/log/mysql/testserv1.err
ignore match /etc/opt/Mysql.nomatch
if match /etc/opt/Mysql.match then
exec "/usr/bin/log-send.sh Mysql-log"

check file Mysql-Replication-log with path /var/log/mysql/ testserv1.err
ignore match /etc/opt/Mysql-Replication.nomatch
if match /etc/opt/Mysql-Replication.match then
exec "/usr/bin/log-send.sh Mysql-Replication-log"

check file ha-log with path /var/logs/ha-log
ignore match /etc/opt/ha.nomatch
if match /etc/opt/ha.match then
exec "/usr/bin/log-send.sh ha-log"

check file system-log with path /var/adm/messages
ignore match /etc/opt/system.nomatch
if match /etc/opt/system.match then
exec "/usr/bin/log-send.sh system"