Re: [monit] Ruby process and pid file

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] Ruby process and pid file
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:54:41 +0100

On Nov 19, 2008, at 5:53 PM, Roberto Druetto wrote:

Hi guys,
I'm trying to monitor a ruby process. I followed this guide:
http://mmonit.com/wiki/Monit/FAQ#pidfile in order to create the pid
file, but I'm a little bit confused.
In the FAQ they say to create the pid file in this way: echo $$ >
/var/run/xyz.pid; but at that stage the pid number I get is the one of
the bash script and not the one of the ruby process. So I get the
wrong process monitored.

Another thing: if I try to stop&start the service, it seems that it
tries to launch the bash file twice, so 2 processes at the end of the
restart.

What am I doing wrong?

Regarding the case when two processes can be started - if it's <= monit-4.10.1, there was problem which can cause that two processes are started under some circumstances. The problem was solved in monit-5.0 which you can get here:

http://mmonit.com/monit/dist/beta/