Re: [monit] Problem with monit starting one of my scripts

From: Chuck Young
Subject: Re: [monit] Problem with monit starting one of my scripts
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:40:33 -0500

Scott Silva wrote:
on 8-13-2008 5:18 PM Stephen Adams spake the following:
<snip>
I think /bin/sh is usually aliased to bash, but if the environment isn't

Actually no, sh is often (not always) a sym link to bash. I've never seen a production system with sh aliased to bash. Using an alias in such a manner is extremely unportable and bad behavior at any rate.

address@hidden ~]$ which sh
/bin/sh
address@hidden ~]$ ls -l /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Apr  9 10:10 /bin/sh -> bash

there, the aliases aren't either.

The trick is that when invoked as "sh", bash tries to be "sh"-like.

From bash info pages:

6.11 Bash POSIX Mode

Starting Bash with the `--posix' command-line option or executing `set
-o posix' while Bash is running will cause Bash to conform more closely
to the POSIX 1003.2 standard by changing the behavior to match that
specified by POSIX in areas where the Bash default differs.

   When invoked as `sh', Bash enters POSIX mode after reading the
startup files.

<snip long laundry list of differences>

cy