[monit] Variable PID Filenames...

From: David Heebner
Subject: [monit] Variable PID Filenames...
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 08:03:26 -0400

Hi,

I have a service/process that I want to monitor, but the PID filenames change when the programs are restarted.  An example of the pidfile is:

program-agentd.7459.pid

where "7459" is the new PID.

Is there a wildcard or something that I can do with monit so that it only needs to recognize the "program-agentd" portion of the file?  Something akin to:

check process program-agentd with pidfile /var/run/program-agentd*

* I tried that of course, but no luck :-)

The only idea I've had thus far was to create a wrapper with the startup script that somehow gets the PID and creates another pidfile that is more in line with the standard "program-agentd.pid".

Thanks!

Dave