[monit] monit 5 sends alert on monitor/unmonitor

From: Aleksander Kamenik
Subject: [monit] monit 5 sends alert on monitor/unmonitor
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 00:50:00 +0300

Hi,

I just upgraded to monit 5 and to also check out m/monit. Nice stuff! I'll write up some feature suggestions/comments about m/monit later.

The change to monit 5 beta1 from 4.10 however includes a very annoying feature/bug. monit sends me an alert on monitor and unmonitor action, performed form m/monit or the commandline on host.

With version 4.10 I could silently run "monit unmonitor apache" and not get any alerts. monit 5 however sends me an alert, which pretty much beats the purpose of unmonitor. Quite annoying, as the alerts also arrive on my phone via sms.

And then I made the mistake of running "monit monitor all", although I had only two unmonitored services. So I got an email/sms for each service on the host including those already monitored, that's thirty something sms messages.

I haven't changed the configuration file while upgrading except for adding the m/monit stuff. The change in behaviour was unexpected for me.

Is this a bug or should I somehow reconfigure my hosts to have the old behaviour of no alerts on monitor and unmonitor commands?

Aleksander Kamenik
System Administrator
Krediidiinfo AS
an Experian Company